UCD Library News
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
This quarter, the growth of open access has been dramatic in open access journals, open access archives, and, perhaps most noteworthy, open access policies. The Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) is on the verge of an important milestone - 4,000 fully open access, peer-reviewed journals, double the number of the largest commercial publisher. DOAJ is growing at the rate of 2 titles per day. OpenDOAR lists 1,373 repositories, an increase of about 70 this quarter. Scientific Commons now encompasses 26 million items, an increase of 2 million. 663 journals are now voluntarily participating in PubMedCentral, an increase of 119 (22%) this quarter. 447 journals provide immediate free access through PubMedCentral, an increase of 29 (7%) this quarter. There are 11 more open access policies, for a total of 72 policies worldwide, and 4 more proposed policies, for a total of 14 proposed policies. One decrease is noted - not in open access per se, but rather subscription journals providing free back issues: Highwire Press seems to have 212,000 fewer free articles, a decrease of 10%.
- ► 2010 (33)
- UCD repository reaches 1,000 items
- Get arXiv postings on your iPhone or iPod touch
- Open Access briefing paper
- Access to world-wide knowledge in informatics, 1 m...
- We Need Publishing Standards for Datasets and Data...
- Announcing New Cognitive Science Network, Social S...
- Welcome to the International Repositories Infrastr...
- Dramatic Growth of Open Access 2009
- ▼ April (8)